Nomos Glashütte was founded by Roland Schwertner in 1990, just two months after the fall of the Berlin wall. When he started the company, Schwertner was a photographer and computer geek with no watch experience and yet today his company employs over 200 people worldwide and is the largest producer of mechanical timepieces in Germany.
Nomos counts 13 collections and 11 manufacture calibers, which it has been developing and producing in-house since 2005. Nomos timepieces are renowned for their mechanical movements, distinctive Bauhaus style, and affordable prices.
Five interesting facts about Nomos Glashütte
- Nomos does not label its models men’s or women’s; it prefers for them to be entirely unisex.
- Nomos timepieces have won dozens of awards over the years in both watchmaking and design competitions.
- The company only produced stainless steel watches up until 2013 but now makes a few special collections in gold.
- In 2014, Nomos designed its own escapement called the Swing system, a project that took the company seven years and 12 million Euros to perfect.
- Nomos Glashütte designs its watches in its workshop in Berlin and produces them in Glashütte.
Brand ID Card
Company status: Limited Partnership
Senior Management : Uwe Ahrendt, CEO
Number of employees: 300
– Zürich world time
Retail prices in USD: From USD 1,380 to 21,500
Annual production: Around 20,000 pieces