One of the youngest of the major watch brands, Hublot was founded in 1980 by Carlo Crocco and Hublot is French for a ship’s porthole. In 2004, Jean-Claude Biver was appointed CEO and minority shareholder of the brand. A year later he launched the Big Bang, pairing precious metals with rubber, which was a phenomenal success and remains one of the brand’s bestsellers today.
Hublot was acquired by the LVMH Group in 2008 and today is managed by CEO Ricardo Guadalupe. The manufacture is based in Nyon, Switzerland, and recently expanded into a second building.
Five interesting facts about Hublot
- The company was the first to use rubber straps on a luxury gold timepiece. It took them three years and $1 million to find the right recipe so the rubber would not crack or stain.
- Hublot is the official sponsor of Ferrari as well as Juventus FC, Chelsea FC, Dallas Cowboys, the World Poker Tour, Aspen Snowmass Resorts, Italia Independent, Berluti, Best Buddies, Zermatt Matterhorn Tourisme, Sorai, and Garage Italia to name just a few.
- Hublot has many partnerships in the domains of sport, art, automobiles, music, and more. It was the first luxury brand to get involved in soccer and has partnerships with FIFA World Cup, the UEFA EURO, the Champions League, and the English Premier League.
- Where most brands decorate their stores in the same style across the globe, each Hublot boutique reflects a design that is in keeping with its location.
- Famous people spotted wearing Hublot include Ricky Martin, Eli Manning, Kylie Jenner, Kobe Bryant, Kylian Mbappé, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jay-Z, Beyonce, and Alex Rodriguez, among others.
Brand ID Card
Company status: Public limited company, a branch of LVMH Swiss Manufactures SA
Senior Management: Ricardo Guadalupe, CEO
Number of employees: 670
– Big Bang
– Classic Fusion
– Spirit of Big Bang
– Manufacture Pieces
– Men’s model: Big Bang Original
– Women’s model: Classic Fusion 38 mm
Retail prices in USD: From USD 5,500 to 290,000 (excluding MP collection and high jewellery pieces)
Annual production: Around 50,000 pieces