Blancpain was founded in the early 18th century by Jehan-Jacques Blancpain, making it one of the oldest Swiss watch manufacturers. The workshop was situated above the family home and generations of the Blancpain family worked in the company.
One of the manufacture’s most emblematic collections is the Fifty Fathoms which was produced following a request from the French Navy and remains one of its most successful collections today.
Blancpain is also the official timekeeper of the famous Michelin Guide and has adorned the wrists of some of the world’s most famous chefs over the last 30 years. The brand was purchased by the Swatch Group in 1992.
Five interesting facts about Blancpain
- There is no official date marking the foundation of the brand. The earliest records marking Jehan-Jacques Blancpain’s occupation as a watchmaker date back to 1735, but he was most probably active for a number of years preceding this date.
- Between 1932 and 1950 Blancpain’s President was a woman, Betty Fiechter — a rare occurrence even today.
- For a number of years, Blancpain was using a portrait of its founder that wasn’t Jehan-Jacques, it was actually Frédéric-Emile Blancpain who lived a full century and a half later!
- Blancpain’s Ocean Commitment initiative has helped enable the creation of new marine protected areas covering more than four million square kilometers across the world.
- Famous people spotted wearing Blancpain include Brad Pitt, Francis Ford Coppola, Vladimir Putin, Jacques Cousteau, and David Garrett, among others.
Brand ID Card
Company status: Public limited company of the Swatch Group
Senior Management: Marc A. Hayek, President and CEO
Number of employees: Over 1,200
– Fifty Fathoms
– Men’s models: Villeret Quantième Complet 6654-1127-55B and Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe 5000-1110-B52A
– Women’s models: Villeret Quantième Phase de Lune 6126-2987-55A and Women Quantième Complet 3663-2954-55B
Retail prices in USD: From USD 8,000 to several hundreds of thousands of U.S. dollars for exceptional pieces
Annual production: Undisclosed